Sunday, January 8, 2012

Practice Hospitality

One of my favorite Scripture passages is found in Romans 12:9-13. In a few short verses, it sums up how we should live. The last verse is simple and to the point: "Practice hospitality."  As a missionary, this is kind of part of my job description. I am called to open my home to others. And while I do enjoy doing this, there are times when I just don't feel like it. Yesterday was one of those times.
One of the women I have been ministering to and who also has become a friend, asked if she could stop by. I was right in the middle of making dinner and it had been a LONG day and I was tired. But I politely invited her over for dinner. She mentioned her nephew would be coming along, too. Mentally, I prepared myself for a long evening. However, despite my misgivings, the evening turned out well. Jackson and her nephew hit it off great. As I watched them play, I was thankful that Jackson had the opportunity to play with a little boy from a different background, just like I did when I was little. As a young child, my closest friends were usually the children of the parents my parents ministered to. Those experiences helped shape who I am today.  It is neat to see how the Lord will use similar experiences in Jackson's life.
And as my friend and her nephew prepared to leave, Jackson gave the little boy a big bear hug.
When we step out in obedience (even when we don't feel like it), we reap the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment